Sale Modal

Air Conditioning 101 – Smart Tips to Stay Comfy and Save Energy

September 13, 2017

by Ambi Climate

September 13, 2017

by Ambi Climate

After a long day out, the first thing you want to do when you get home is turn on your air conditioner and chill. Varying weather conditions (heat & humidity or cold & dryness) make the air conditioner one of the most important and essential devices to have at home.

Below, we’ve gathered the main tips on keeping your home comfortable, and making sure that your air conditioner maintains tip top condition!

AC running but it’s not cold? Find the right size for your room

Sometimes going too big isn’t the answer, here is a good guide to measure the size and output of the air conditioner you are getting. An air conditioner that is too large goes through short cycles, which cools/heats your home quickly, and then turns off. This constant on/off causes fluctuations to your room temperature, and a great deal of stress to your air conditioner.  Having too small a unit, will lead to inadequate cooling/heating, and wear your unit out.

pexels-photo-545034

Install your air conditioner in the right place

This may seem self explanatory, but always bears reminding. Placing your air conditioner at the corner of the living room means it has to work longer, and harder. You should also make sure it isn’t in direct sunlight and as much as it is tempting to want to hide it – just don’t!

ceiling-fan-571309_1920.jpg

Want to reduce AC energy consumption? A ceiling fan can help

Being able to circulate the air in your room, A ceiling fan alleviates stress from your air conditioner. Having your air conditioning unit working in sync with your ceiling fan will help you save on your overall air conditioning bills, and help with your airflow and general comfort.

Don’t neglect your filters to lower your electric bill and be healthier

Filtering out dust and debris to bring cool, clean air out, it’s best that your filters are cleaned or replaced monthly, especially in months where you use your AC a lot. Without clean filters, your air conditioner cannot function at its best!

For those models with reusable filters, you can simply wash them and leave to dry completely before slotting them back in. Do note that the mesh of the filters is delicate, so don’t wipe off the dust, use a soft stream of water to clean it out.

pexels-photo-290678

AC not cold enough? Maintain your air conditioner regularly for efficiency

Air conditioners are meant to run day in and day out. Scheduling a yearly maintenance along with regularly cleaning your filters will squeeze more mileage out of your air conditioner. And if you do hear rattling noises, or see anything out of the ordinary, fix it as soon as possible, to avoid any costly repairs.

asdsad

Save energy at home & optimize your air conditioner for your comfort

With so many variations to what would make you comfortable, optimize your comfort with Ambi Climate; AI allows you to enjoy seamless comfort as your air conditioner adjusts the temperature in your room to your needs. With your customized solution, you can enjoy as much as 30% savings from your air conditioner!

Start Saving

Facebook Follow Us_OP

RELATED

Smart Life Delivered Your Way

Smart Life Delivered Your Way

CATEGORIES
Ambi FeaturesFAQ & How toNews & UpdatesSmart Life

POSTED IN

Smart Life

TAGGED

101 guide, AC, AC maintenance, Air conditioner, air conditioning, thermal comfort

COMMENTS

1. Joy Butler says:

I didn’t know that the quality of your A/C was so dependent on whether or not your A/C is the right size for your room. I will have to make sure that the size is correct for my room because right now the air conditioning is not sufficient. Me and my husband both love a cold room while we sleep, so I got to get on that. https://www.vigilairandheat.com/lakewood–ca.html

2. abdulkarimae says:

It’s very amazing post to save energy to use air conditioner. This is very informative and useful advice for me. Thanks for sharing information with us. Air Conditioning Installation Service

3. My dad wanted to make sure that the air in our home will be intact. It was explained here that he should find the right size of AC for the room to achieve the right temperature. Furthermore, it’s recommended to hire professionals for quality air conditioner installation.

4. Caden Dahl says:

Come to think of it, I really don’t remember the last time my filters were changed and chances are, they are probably due. Now as you said, they should be cleaned or change out monthly. That way, the system won’t be using more energy trying to push air through the clogged up filter, which in turn makes me spend more money on cooling my home.

5. Bram says:

Thanks for that little tip about seeing or noticing anything out of the ordinary. As you said, when you see something like that, you just got to fix it as soon as you can. That way, you learn something more about AC unit for the future.

6. Kit Hannigan says:

It sure is interesting to know that an annual AC maintenance and regular filter cleaning will allow people to enjoy more of their AC’s lifespan. I would think that homeowners would sometimes take these machines for granted and put off regular maintenance and inspections for a lot longer. This tip will definitely help me get more out of my AC investment should I ever need to purchase a new one n the future. Thanks!

7. Ellie Davis says:

Thank you for pointing out that you should be getting yearly maintenance done on your AC. My husband and I just build a house and are needing to get a new air conditioner installed. I’ll have to do some research and find the best contractor to come and install it for me.

8. It was nice when you mentioned that I need to replace the filter if I used it a lot because that will help makes the unit function at its finest afterward. I should’ve known that because the filter is actually the reason why the unit overworked and became damaged. Hopefully, the AC unit can still be repaired. After that, I will see to it that I replace the filter every month.

9. Ellie Davis says:

I didn’t know that you shouldn’t put your AC in direct sunlight. My husband and I are wanting to get a new air conditioner installed and need to find the right company to do so. I’ll have to do some research and find the best AC company to install something for me.

10. Sarah Smith says:

My brother lives in the south and when we went down to visit him, we noticed that his AC isn’t cooling his house efficiently. After reading your article, I realized that this could either be due to not having the AC unit or ducting properly situated in his house or it could be due to his not getting it maintained regularly by a professional. I will advise him to find an air conditioning service that can help him make it work again.

11. Gerty Gift says:

I liked what you said about scheduling yearly maintenance so that you can keep it running as efficiently as possible. I never thought to have it maintained this way, but rather do little things to make sure that I’m doing my part in keeping it running well. I would like to see how this makes a difference in how our AC runs if we do try yearly maintenance.

12. Mark Murphy says:

I really appreciate your tip to check your air conditioning unit if you hear a rattling noise. My wife and I have been thinking of getting a new house, and we would be in a neighborhood that has a lot of heat. If we hear a rattling noise, I will be sure to check our air conditioning unit!

13. Sarah Smith says:

My air conditioner hasn’t been working the past couple weeks and it’s been really difficult to live with. I didn’t realize that my AC unit would need regular cleaning and yearly maintenance to work properly. We’ll start looking into AC repair services and see if we can also schedule regular maintenance when they are here.

14. Georgia B says:

I didn’t realize that missing out on regular maintenance could make your AC not as cold as you’d like! Thanks for bringing that up because the house I just bought can’t seem to get cool enough to be really comfortable. I’m wondering if the previous owners didn’t keep up on maintenance, so I’ll make sure to get a service in here soon to check on our AC unit!

15. Marthedal says:

Great post, I will be able to use it to recommend to clients in my area.. Ceiling fans are crucial, thermostat placement important, and scheduled replacement of filters.

16. I never knew that a ceiling fan alleviates stress from your air conditioner. I have been trying to find ways to reduce AC energy consumption. Thanks for the tips on how to make the most of my AC.

17. Just recently my sister moved into a new home. She wants to make sure that the air conditioning in her home is in good condition. It may help her a lot to know that regular cleaning will make it easier to maintain and avoid repair.

18. Ellie Davis says:

Thank you for pointing out that you need to make sure you don’t put your air conditioning in direct sunlight. My husband and I need to get a new air conditioner installed and want to make sure we get the best company possible to install it. I’ll have to do some research and ask around to find the best contractor possible.

19. Gary Puntman says:

I’ll have to get more ceiling fans for my house. I didn’t know that they alleviate stress from your air conditioner. It sounds like this would help me save a little bit of money each month on my energy bills.

20. sariahmeagle says:

My sister wants to have an AC in her room because it was too hot. It was explained here that she should put the right place in her room to maximize its use. Furthermore, it’s advisable to hire professionals for AC installation.

21. Mark Murphy says:

I really like your tip to try to clean or replace the filters in your house monthly, that way you can keep your air in your house free from dust! My wife and I recently moved into an older house, and because of that, my wife is concerned that the air in our house is very musty. I will be sure to take the time to look at the quality of our filters and clean them if it is necessary!

22. It makes a lot of sense that you would want to maintain the AC for efficiency. This makes a lot of sense since you want to make sure that the filters are staying clean and fixing things as soon as possible. My sister might like knowing this since she is thinking about getting an air conditioning repair.

23. Gerty Gift says:

I liked what you said about a ceiling fan being able to alleviate some of the strain from the air conditioner. We have noticed that our air conditioning isn’t working quite as well as it should. I think that it would be a great idea to invest in a few fans so that we can be sure that we don’t hurt our air conditioning. We’ll get someone to come work some maintenance on it and I hope that that will help with its efficiency.

24. Hector Uba says:

Thanks for elaborating on the different ways you can make the most of your AC and save energy. You should definitely be replacing your filters at least once a month to ensure proper air flow for your unit. In my opinion, you should have a professional coming out to do regular maintenance on your AC regularly to catch problems while small.

25. I like how you said that it is best that your AC filters are cleaned or replaced monthly. We are getting a new air conditioner installed in our home. Thank you for the tips for making the most out of your AC.

26. larrynweaver2017 says:

Thanks for the tip to get maintenance done on an air conditioner if you hear rattling noises. Having moved into a new home, I’m still trying to get used to all of the features my place has, and that includes dealing with the air conditioner. I’ve heard it rattle a few times while running, so I’ll be sure to contact a professional to check it out and perform maintenance on my unit.

27. Lately I’ve been noticing that my air conditioning system has been blowing air that isn’t very cold. I never thought about the size of the unit having an effect on it’s efficiency. I also haven’t considered that maybe my ac unit being installed in the basement, where it’s cooler, could have an effect on the temperature upstairs.

28. I like that you warned against getting a system or AC unit that isn’t big enough for your needs. It might be worth consulting a professional to see just how much power you need. This way you avoid the struggle of having to replace it in the future.

29. I was unaware that you’d want to clean your filters on a monthly basis, as it will help your AC work at its best. I have an older air conditioning system, so I’ve been wondering how I can get it to last longer. I’ll be sure to keep these tips in mind this summer!

30. John Lyon says:

Very informative blog post about how to make the most of your ac!

31. Mike Dean says:

Knowing more about air conditioning is very important especially now that summer is here. That will ensure your home is always comfortable and a nice place to stay during this season.

32. Gerty Gift says:

I liked what you said about making sure to maintain it regularly. I never really thought about how often we should get ours checked, but I appreciate the recommendation to do it yearly. We’ll be sure to do this with our new system.

33. Joy says:

My mom wants to place an AC in my sister’s room because it’s a bit warm in that part of our home. It was explained here that we are to find the right AC size for the room for it cool perfectly. Moreover, it’s advisable to consult HVAC contractors for the proper air conditioning at home.

34. Your blog is really interesting. Thanks for sharing such a great information. You can also save energy and money of your air conditioner with the use of Eco Home device.

35. This is some really good information about air conditioning. I liked what you said about how it would be smart to check your filters. I am terrible at remembering to do things like that. It seems like it would be smart to get them changed for me. That way, I don’t forget to get them changed.

36. I’m glad you mentioned about going green in how your offer your services. I am of the opinion that all the air conditioning repair services should work towards that. Thanks for sharing this great piece.

37. Sutton Turner says:

I never knew that ceiling fans helped alleviate stress from your air conditioner. I just got a new AC and want to keep it maintained. Thanks for the tips for making the most out of your air conditioning.

38. maxsayer1975 says:

I have been looking to get a new AC in my place because my current one is not running as well. I really appreciated these tips I was just looking at the AC unit itself but maybe there are some other areas that can help improve. I will have to check my filters and make sure they are not dirty.

• Ambi Climate says:

Hi Max!
      Glad we could help – do check your AC as it might be fine, just needs some love 🙂

39. I had no idea that you needed to clean or replace your air conditioning filters on a monthly basis, especially in the summer. I just got a new AC unit, so I’ve been wanting to learn how to take care of it. These tips will help me a ton, so thanks for posting them!

40. Blue Star says:

Fantastic blog! Thanks for sharing very interesting post, I appreciate to blogger for amazing post.

41. Robert says:

Amazing read

42. MarySRussell says:

Great!!! I love reading the content. Such a awesome presentation and knowledge you shared here. Thanks a lot for sharing

43. Amanda Drew says:

That’s interesting that some models will let you use reusable filters, so you just need to clean them. My air conditioning is acting up because it’s not making that cool of air anymore. I think that I’ll find someone who can fix the air conditioning and let me know if I could use those sorts of filters.

• Ambi Climate says:

Hi Amanda – it’s true that it depends on the model but there is certainly a way to periodically clean your AC and filters! It’s super important. If your AC isn’t sending out cool air as much, it could just be an issue with the compressor or other part and it’s great that you’re keeping it up and having a professional fix it! Hope you get your cool air back soon 🙂