Air Conditioning 101 – Smart Tips to Stay Comfy and Save Energy

September 13, 2017

by Ambi Climate

September 13, 2017

by Ambi Climate

After a long day out, the first thing you want to do when you get home is turn on your air conditioner and chill. Varying weather conditions (heat & humidity or cold & dryness) make the air conditioner one of the most important and essential devices to have at home.

Below, we’ve gathered the main tips on keeping your home comfortable, and making sure that your air conditioner maintains tip top condition!

1. Find the right size of AC for your room

Sometimes going too big isn’t the answer, here is a good guide to measure the size and output of the air conditioner you are getting. An air conditioner that is too large goes through short cycles, which cools/heats your home quickly, and then turns off. This constant on/off causes fluctuations to your room temperature, and a great deal of stress to your air conditioning unit.  Having too small a unit, will lead to inadequate cooling/heating, and wear your unit out.

pexels-photo-545034

2. Install your air conditioner in the right place

This may seem self explanatory, but always bears reminding. Placing your air conditioner at the corner of the living room means it has to work longer, and harder. You should also make sure it isn’t in direct sunlight and as much as it is tempting to want to hide it – just don’t!

ceiling-fan-571309_1920.jpg

3. A ceiling fan can help a lot

Being able to circulate the air in your room, A ceiling fan alleviates stress from your air conditioning unit. Having your air conditioning unit working in sync with your ceiling fan will help you save on your overall air conditioning bills, and help with your airflow and general comfort.

4. Don’t neglect your filters

Filtering out dust and debris to bring cool, clean air out, it’s best that your filters are cleaned or replaced monthly, especially in months where you use your AC a lot. Without clean filters, your air conditioner cannot function at its best! For those models with reusable filters, you can simply wash them and leave to dry completely before slotting them back in. Do note that the mesh of the filters is delicate, so don’t wipe off the dust, use a soft stream of water to clean it out.

pexels-photo-290678

5. Maintain your air conditioner regularly, and fix issues sooner than later

Air conditioners are meant to run day in and day out. Scheduling a yearly maintenance along with regularly cleaning your filters will squeeze more mileage out of your air conditioner. And if you do hear rattling noises, or see anything out of the ordinary, fix it as soon as possible, to avoid any costly repairs.

asdsad

6. Optimize your air conditioner for your comfort

With so many variations to what would make you comfortable, optimize your comfort with Ambi Climate; AI allows you to enjoy seamless comfort as your air conditioner adjusts the temperature in your room to your needs. With your customized solution, you can enjoy as much as 30% savings from your air conditioner!

Start Saving CTA

Do you have other tips we haven’t listed here? Let us know in the comments! And as always – make sure to subscribe to our blog & follow us on FacebookTwitterLinkedIn, Instagram for all updates!

RELATED

Smart Life Delivered Your Way

Smart Life Delivered Your Way

CATEGORIES
Ambi FeaturesFAQ & How toNews & UpdatesSmart Life

POSTED IN

Smart Life

TAGGED

101 guide, AC, AC maintenance, Air conditioner, air conditioning, thermal comfort

COMMENTS

1. I was unaware that you’d want to clean your filters on a monthly basis, as it will help your AC work at its best. I have an older air conditioning system, so I’ve been wondering how I can get it to last longer. I’ll be sure to keep these tips in mind this summer!

2. John Lyon says:

Very informative blog post about how to make the most of your ac!

3. Mike Dean says:

Knowing more about air conditioning is very important especially now that summer is here. That will ensure your home is always comfortable and a nice place to stay during this season.

4. Gerty Gift says:

I liked what you said about making sure to maintain it regularly. I never really thought about how often we should get ours checked, but I appreciate the recommendation to do it yearly. We’ll be sure to do this with our new system.

5. Joy says:

My mom wants to place an AC in my sister’s room because it’s a bit warm in that part of our home. It was explained here that we are to find the right AC size for the room for it cool perfectly. Moreover, it’s advisable to consult HVAC contractors for the proper air conditioning at home.

6. Your blog is really interesting. Thanks for sharing such a great information. You can also save energy and money of your air conditioner with the use of Eco Home device.

7. This is some really good information about air conditioning. I liked what you said about how it would be smart to check your filters. I am terrible at remembering to do things like that. It seems like it would be smart to get them changed for me. That way, I don’t forget to get them changed.

8. I’m glad you mentioned about going green in how your offer your services. I am of the opinion that all the air conditioning repair services should work towards that. Thanks for sharing this great piece.

9. Sutton Turner says:

I never knew that ceiling fans helped alleviate stress from your air conditioner. I just got a new AC and want to keep it maintained. Thanks for the tips for making the most out of your air conditioning.

10. maxsayer1975 says:

I have been looking to get a new AC in my place because my current one is not running as well. I really appreciated these tips I was just looking at the AC unit itself but maybe there are some other areas that can help improve. I will have to check my filters and make sure they are not dirty.

• Ambi Climate says:

Hi Max!
      Glad we could help – do check your AC as it might be fine, just needs some love 🙂

11. I had no idea that you needed to clean or replace your air conditioning filters on a monthly basis, especially in the summer. I just got a new AC unit, so I’ve been wanting to learn how to take care of it. These tips will help me a ton, so thanks for posting them!

12. Blue Star says:

Fantastic blog! Thanks for sharing very interesting post, I appreciate to blogger for amazing post.

13. Robert says:

Amazing read

14. MarySRussell says:

Great!!! I love reading the content. Such a awesome presentation and knowledge you shared here. Thanks a lot for sharing

15. Amanda Drew says:

That’s interesting that some models will let you use reusable filters, so you just need to clean them. My air conditioning is acting up because it’s not making that cool of air anymore. I think that I’ll find someone who can fix the air conditioning and let me know if I could use those sorts of filters.

• Ambi Climate says:

Hi Amanda – it’s true that it depends on the model but there is certainly a way to periodically clean your AC and filters! It’s super important. If your AC isn’t sending out cool air as much, it could just be an issue with the compressor or other part and it’s great that you’re keeping it up and having a professional fix it! Hope you get your cool air back soon 🙂