Buying an air conditioner controller offers many benefits to those who can’t imagine life without aircon. If you choose the right model, it can even potentially pay for itself thanks to the power savings afforded in an age of sky-rocketing electricity bills. If you thought you were satisfied with the ability to set the temperature plus on-and-off times, think again! Below are the reasons you may need an air conditioner controller, but first, let’s quickly clarify what one actually is…
An air conditioner controller is a device that automatically sets aircon temperature and fan settings so that you don’t have to. The best ones use AI to determine optimum settings according to weather, internal humidity and temperature, luminosity, user comfort preferences and power consumption.
1. Better power management: When a regular aircon unit is activated, it can use significant power to build up a mass of cold air (that's potentially 20-degrees lower than the actual temperature you want) before dumping it into a room and making everyone shiver. This is a waste of energy and doesn’t help with your comfort levels. An independent air conditioner controller can adjust settings incrementally, thereby normalizing temperature fluctuations, lessening power surges and reducing electricity usage.
2. Better comfort: A good air conditioner controller can generate comfortable ac by learning what temperature and humidity you prefer, at different times of the day, and automatically adjust the settings so that you don’t even need to think about them... or remember where on earth you left the remote control(!)
3. Simple to set-up: Even though air conditioner controllers can offer complex features and do calculations based upon Artificial Intelligence, they are incredibly easy to set up. The best air conditioner controllers come with the infra-red codes of popular models built-in, so they can communicate with your aircon unit straight away. If it’s a different model, it’s simple for the AC controller to learn the codes that your unit uses, based off it’s existing remote control.
4. Managed by a phone app: While an air conditioner controller will be able to operate independently, you’ll still need to give it occasional feedback so it can learn your preferences. There will also be times when a schedule changes and you’ll want to take manual control. A good air conditioner controller will come with a good partner app that is simple, intuitive and yet packed with features. This way you can change settings, communicate via Wi-Fi (or even remotely, over the internet) and adjust features according to circumstances.
5. Keep your pets comfortable: Many people have to leave their pets at home all day. This is especially true in a Covid world where many people bought a lock-down pet which has gone from getting full, all-day, domestic attention to suddenly feeling abandoned when workers and kids return to the office and school. So, it’s especially important to know that your pet is comfortable at home and a smart air conditioner controller’s ability to adjust settings independently or remotely (via a phone app) can help ensure this happens.
6. Mold and freeze prevention: If you go away and you live in a very humid or very cold climate, an air conditioner controller can help maintain your home. By automatically regulating temperature and humidity in your absence, you can rest assured that you won’t return home to a residence that’s been blighted by mold or suffered (potentially catastrophic) failure caused by frozen pipes.
7. Geofencing: A good air conditioner controller will know where in the world it is and be able to access local weather information from the internet, accordingly. However, it also knows where you are because of the app on your phone. This means you can set-up Geofence activation. This is a set-distance from your premises and, when you cross this arbitrary boundary, the aircon will automatically turn on. As such. every time you arrive at home or in the office, the temperature and humidity levels will be perfect for you.
8. Balancing the needs of many: If you’re sharing a home or office space, it's not uncommon for there to be impassioned discussions over what the thermostat should be set at. Some like it hot, some like it cold, as they say. However, a good air conditioner controller will be able to automatically take all users’ individual preferences into account and ensure settings for temperature and humidity cause the least amount of fuss.
9. No heating or cooling empty rooms: The best air conditioner controllers will know when the last person has left the office and automatically shut down the aircon unit. They can provide cheaper aircon and save enormously on unnecessary power bills because someone forgot to turn the AC off – especially right before a weekend!
10. Smart home compatibility: An air conditioner controller can fit perfectly into a smart home (or other IoT-based) environment. It should be voice-assistant compatible (Alexa, Siri Google) so that you can simply say whether you’re too hot or cold. It should also be compatible with automation software like IFTTT, Home Bridge and Home Assistant.
If any of the above sounds relatable then you should check out a model from Ambi Climate. These, inexpensive air conditioner controllers will work with virtually any type of aircon or heat pump and ensure that you, and everyone you care about, are kept comfortable thanks to its AI-driven automation. They’ll also save you power which saves you money and, of course, helps the environment.